Monday, February 23, 2009

File #90023220

A little post before midterms.

With midterms a little while away, I got to concentrate on other things than this and that other blog for a while. There's also a lot of work to be done with taxes coming up. I figured I should at least post another paper, but the papers I've reread lately all sucked hardcore, so I decided to not post any. I haven't been watching The Onion lately either, so nothing there.
But for those who need something to do, go find FillerBunny! It's from the same guy who made Invader Zim and its one hilarious comic. And I've also been reading Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning. I know I'm a sucker for detective stuff, but this is an entertaining read. I'm going to go and try and buy it at the bookstore now.

Well, I'd feel kinda empty if I left with just that today, so I decided to talk about a little where the story I posted a while ago came from. I've always been fascinated with war, the technology, the politics, the emotions before, during, and after the war. War is just so complex and there's so many things to investigate. A war isn't brought about by one single reason, and the result of one changes everything. Therefore, I wanted to try and write about one, encompassing all these different aspects of war. I went through many textbooks studying past wars, like the world wars, the "interventions" during the Cold War, and even dived into history a little to study things like the Hundred Years' War between France and England. Going further into history, there were things like the Napoleonic Wars and Crusades.
It was all good information and insight into the wars of the past, but I didn't think I could write about a modern war with information from the past. That's where movies and games came in.War movies, spy movies, and even documentaries helped in this aspect. I drew a lot of inspiration from movies like Spy Games, The Kingdom, Band of Brothers, and a bunch of others that I can't remember at the moment. Games helped a lot with the "first person aspect" that I wanted to portray in my story at times. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was one of the games I played recently that really aided me with its realistic modern war story. And also it was really genius story with awesome gameplay. (Captain Price, I salute you!)
But of course, the greatest aid to my story was indeed, other stories! I went through most of Tom Clancy's novels, as he's supposedly like a god in the genre of modern warfare. Another book I read recently that I got a lot from was Empire from Orson Scott Card, it was interesting with its idea of a second American Civil War in the modern age.
Well, for some reason, I can't leave it with just text today, so here's some things from one of my greatest inspirations, a game called Ace Combat. All about war and things that surround it. The Ace Combat series embodied everything I was looking for, a war, a hero, and stories about both. And it mixed into the gameplay really well to boot. The Ace Combat series are some of my most favorite games because of that.
Here you go. This first one is from Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War. And yes, that's Blurry from Puddle of Mudd.

Second up, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.

And finally, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation!

Oh yeah, Ace Combat probably has the best english dub I ever heard. Ever.
Well, that's it for today, Kai out!

4 comments:

  1. Kai, you're obsessed. -_-

    Just kidding, just kidding. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at your view on war - not since that 'interesting' discussion in the CB with Delicious, wes, and a couple others on the sliding economy and...war. >_>

    I still haven't read the entire story, but from the little that I did read, I have to say it's intriguing. Kinda' get caught up in it. ^^
    Dem was right though, there is a LOT of editing that needs to be done. x_x
    But keep it up. ^^

    Pity you don't have any more papers to put up... :( But who knows, maybe you'll find a couple that aren't as bad as you say they are.

    Good luck with the midterms!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh Cousin Kai! Your posts are always sooo deep and serious... how about writing about something FUN? Like bento perhaps? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. KA: haha! you'er right, I am obsessed! But that's okay, because I have another story that isn't about war, a nice nonsensical slice-of-life. And I'm sure there's more papers to post, I haven't reached the bottom of my file cabinet yet lol. Thanks, good luck on your midterms as well, whenever they come around.
    Avie: Good point, I think I'll write something fun, easy, and perhaps nonsensical! But bento? Come on, that's what I visit your blog for! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh jhonen vasquez, how would i have gotten through high school without you?! JTHM is amazing.

    ReplyDelete