Monday, March 30, 2009

File #90020330

On Dreams
Rant!

I'm working on a massive economic project right now, so I didn't get to review any of my old papers. But I'll post some material as I progress through the research, I'm finding lots of informational tidbits that are very interesting, or disturbing which way you look at it. But that's a post for another day, now it's time for a filler!
If you read my other post, then you already heard me talk about dreams once before. And if you've attended some of the classes I'm in, you've probably heard it even more. But I'd like to talk about it a little more today. This time, some tips that are a little more... "concrete", I suppose.
1. Milestones. There's a reason they're called milestones. Don't make them too close to each other, yet don't make them too far. For example, if you aim for a million bucks like me, don't set a milestone down at each thousand. And don't set one at half a million either. Also, make them concrete and exact, so you know when you passed it. Once again an example, "I want to live in Hawaii". An applicable milestone would be, "I bought a lease on a apartment in Honolulu." Get it? (And that's an example, although it is what I'm going for.)
2. Save a little for your goal. Sure, money's not everything, but it helps you get there. In the current economic situation, it can be a little hard to save even a little, but that money saved will come in handy down the road. For example, I saved nearly all of my earning I made during high school, a few years later, that money helped me pay for college and my monthly living expenses while I concentrating on studying and such. Nowadays, I try to save at least 50% of my paycheck by placing it in some form of investment. That'll help me buy that apartment, you see?
3. Your dream is not only your dream. There's others who share your dream, find them! Not only will they give you important information of what you might experience on your road for goals, but you won't feel as alone. And trust me, that's an important feeling. I met many Hawaiians whose goals are to return back to Hawaii after college, most of them have family there, so it's a lot easier for them than for me. But thanks to them, my goal doesn't feel as impossible as it would if I were alone.
4. Do your research, it's always better that way. A little research can go a long way, and even save you quite a bit of money and time. I like to spend a little of each day researching a little on my goals, a while back, I got a hold of a real estate agent in Hawaii to talk about average prices of homes in Honolulu and such. Now I know what to look for. I'm not an expert yet, but at least I'm not a complete noob. Get the point?
5. Reward yourself. I know I mentioned this before, but I can't stress this point enough. Without rewards or breaks, you will burn out. Period. No matter how long you think you can last, you will burn out eventually. And sometimes that crash can cost you. Take a break, go on a little vacation, spend some time with your family, or spouse, or kids, or whatever. Go watch the game, go play a game. Do something that isn't goal-oriented and is something you enjoy doing. Because no matter how grandiose your goal may seem, even you'll get tired of thinking about it day after day.

And I hope those tips were a little more "tangible" than the ones I talked about before. And as always, if you have any further inquiries you know where to reach me.
Oh yeah, on my own record, I've added some goals to my list of dreams. I've added:
1. Visit Canada. Come on, it's Canada! It's easier than Europe and Japan, and there are quite a few sights I'd like to see. The Falls, Vancouver, Toronto, The Canadian Rockies, Ice Truckers, and snow. Real, thick, fluffy, white snow. I think monetary-wise, I can already accomplish this goal. I just need the time.
2. A vacation home. I already established I want to live in Hawaii, but I'm also a snow-lover, so I think I need another home somewhere. I was thinking Seattle. Go Seahawks!
3. Make a scrapbook of my adventures. I want to take a picture of everything, make it into a record, so I can show others. Then it wouldn't be just me talking, I'll have concrete proof that I have done what I said I have. And sometimes to get people to believe(in both me and themselves), it takes just that.
4. Publish! I'm getting a lot more closer to writing the stories that I want to write now. Finishing a story actually feels like a goal I'm slowly reaching. It would be nice if I could get this story out, even if I have to start small.

Those are a few more goals for me that I thought I'd share.
Passing that, I want to talk about the other dreams. Like the ones you have in your sleep. I've been sleeping a little longer recently, and I actually get to dream much more and much longer. Unfortunately, I get a lot more FEAR-related dreams, which are a mix of FEAR, Doom, Dead Space, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil. I used to think of it as quite scary, but I think it's finally sinking in on me that this is usual. Lucky for me, more sleep means that I stop getting crazy hallucinations when I'm awake and I stop hearing whispers(I'm not crazy...).
Also, I've been having many "past dreams". It's like I see memories of my past, some of which I thought I had forgotten. Now these dreams are somewhat scary. To think that I've been forgetting my past, even manipulating them to suit my happiness. It's kind of scary what time can do to one's memories, all the more reason I've started to write everything I remember down. Something written down is harder to manipulate than memories.
And last, and probably the worst dreams that I have, are the recurring ones. From what I've researched, the dream(or my brain) is trying to tell me something. But I don't know what it is. I can never finish the dream, sometimes I see more, sometimes I see less. I'd rather have prophetic dreams or epic dreams, but no, I get stuck with recurring dreams. I say they're more recurring nightmares, than dreams, they're much too frightening. I'm beginning to get the feeling that it's rather urgent I figure it out, because I'm getting some pain when I wake up everyday. I should go see a doctor or psychiatrist or something.
All I can say is that it feels like I'm running and confronting something. I say "confronting" because I can't tell whether I'm running from it, or fighting it. It's rather dark, and a lot of it doesn't make sense to me at all. Like at one point, I was running on an elevated walkway. Look down, and there's more elevated walkways. Kind of like the view you get when you look downward in a multi-level mall. The only time I ever saw this was in LA, and I hated that city. so seriously, wtf.
Anyway, I guess I'll talk about that when it starts making more sense to me. Or maybe when it drives me insane. You know, either/or situation(lol).

and since I absolutely cannot leave without posting a vid.

I really like the lyrics on that one, chrous and all. Yep, War Fanaticism. And the instrumental sounds pretty good too!
and this too.
and for the record, yes, I love self-referencing, makes me feel awesome(lol).

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I have to quote you here: "and for the record, yes, I love self-referencing, makes me feel awesome."
    LOL! That was just cool!
    Those tips are great - short - and to the point.

    What I found particularly interesting were your own personal thoughts on dreams...maybe because I can relate or whatever, but you are on the right track about some of the assumptions and conclusions you've made about the whole dream/nightmare stuff. I work closely with a psychiatrist and therapist and now a psychologist too (but that's for my other research-related goals, haha), and they seem to suggest similar ideas as you have - especially - about recurring dreams. Those dreams ARE speaking to you about something; like take a recurring nightmare reflective of some traumatic past...If you ignore the memories of that past, build on them, change them even to fit your life today (just so that you could accept the life of today or whatever)...then the idea is that those repressed thoughts have to be released somehow. It's cathartic to some sense (and no this is not entirely Freudian, even though he's the nut who started all this -_- ). It makes sense, doesn't it? Based on what you've said in this post, you've realized that, too. Which is great.
    Personally, my only way out of one particular kind of recurring nightmare was...well, through it. Don't ignore, just deal, and it gets easier. It's like resolving something, accepting and making changes today FOR today and tomorrow...

    Umm, yeah, that was my little rant right there. Ha, I'm sorry, but I just love this topic of dreams.
    Did I mention the correlation of PTSD and dreams...?

    Oh, and YES, do visit Canada! You will love The Falls, visit Lake Ontario, go to the CN Tower (and ESPECIALLY the Eaton Centre!), visit Wonderland (!!! and there, DO try the Funnel Cake - a bit of heaven on a plate x_x ), hit the slopes in that awesome Horseshoe Valley Resort.... ^^'
    What about Vancouver for those Winter Olympics?

    Good luck on your "massive economic project"! Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I knew I should talked to you about this, KA! Recurring nightmares really suck, and yeah I heard there was a really large correlation between PTSD and nightmare stuff too. Has to deal with the trauma and negative emotions and such. Except I'm not sure how I'm going to "just deal with it". Just trying to see the entire dream is hard enough lol.
    Someday, I will visit Canada, a lot of my friends when for a graduation trip after high school and they said it was awesome. It's been so long since I went snowboarding. Been awhile since I've done anything related to nature lol.

    ReplyDelete