Thursday, March 19, 2009

File #90029130B

Change
Rant!

Okay, so originally this post was supposed to go to the Xana Net because it was purely rant, but I decided to get it here because there was a few things I felt belonged in the File Cabinet. So anyway, yeah. Enjoy!

Change is something we all deal with, everyday in fact. From a small change in our morning commute to the large change in the time we sleep at night. Some changes are larger than others, and some are more felt than some less noticeable ones. We deal with some changes better than others, there are even changes that don't affect us at all(is that still called a change?). Now where am I going with this? Easy, change is the easiest way to derail someone's perfect plan. I've seen it too many times, a good person ruined by the unexpected change. To make it worse, the disaster could have been avoided or minimized by taking steps.
For example, I'll use myself. Back several years ago, I used to run on rather a rigid schedule everyday. Wake up, class, work, study, sleep, repeat. There was not a lot of extra time in my day, and a simple change was disastrous. I almost had my schedule down to the minute, eating was timed and sleep was obviously controlled. My friends all warned me how bad I was going to pay for my packed day later, but I did not listen. After all, I had been fine up to that point. I crashed halfway in my first year of college, I couldn't do anything for weeks. Couldn't study, didn't feel like going outside, felt horribly sick, didn't even feel like playing games or eating. Looking back, I think it was more gradual than it seemed. Over time I lost my sense of hunger and fatigue. And everyone knows what happens when your body and mind is fatigued. You lose interest in things that you used to like, you can't eat well and so on. Surprisingly,I was never irritable. Friends say I got more apathetic, which to them was a good thing(lol).
Anyway, I learned from my crash, there's plenty of spare time in my days now. But I still don't sleep much. I figured now would be a good time for a change. I've been 21 for a while now, and sometimes it feels like life is going anywhere. And when you feel stuck, nothing helps better than a little change.
I am changing my schedule once again, to better suit a larger sleeping schedule. It's being moved up from 3-4 hours to 5-6 hours a night. This should help get rid of those strange FEAR-esque hallucinations that has plagued me for years(I say it again,I'm not crazy!) and other things I believe are caused by my voluntary sleep deprivation. Not surprisingly, most of those were horror-related like hearing voices, seeing shadows move when alone, and feeling like I was being followed. Hopefully, more sleep will put these crazy things to rest and leave me in peace(no pun intended).
Getting more sleep was the first change. The next change is work-related. People call me crazy, but I love my job. All three of them(1. Office paperpusher 2. Financial Advisor, 3.my stock portfolio). But I have decided to slack off a little, stop to smell the flowers if you will. Before, I wanted to accomplish my dreams as fast as possible. But recently a friend asked me, "Why? What would you do when you're done?" Since I couldn't answer, I'm taking his advice and slowing down. Unfortunately for the people in my office, that means my NERF offensive campaigns are going up 200%.So I'll take more days off work, shoot the breeze at the lounge more, and take time to personalize my desk space.
And third, time for school! I've always relied on my genius genes to pull me through. Only scanning material once then taking the test and passing with flying colors. My methods are crazy, and I'm not sure they'll work soon. So I'll start seriously studying for once in my life. Who knows? Maybe I'll get even smarter(lol). And for those you from class reading these, yes I'm still tutoring on any subject even if you bring in something like Calculus IV you jerks.
Finally, attention to friends. My number one problem is my disability to stay in touch. Long distances are impossible for me to handle because I really like going face-to-face. But I'll change that. As a start, I finally updated my cell phone to have all my friends on speed dial. But I still won't do texting, you can't make me pay that! I used to spend a lot of time and resources for my friends, traveling to go see them, even buying a plane ticket every now and then. I'll do that again, I even have my passport ready this time(For those friends interested, I'm planning a cruise to the Bahamas this summer in place of my Eurotrip, email me!). The original reason I wanted lots of money was to support my friends anyway, it's time I followed through on that.

That's changes for me, there's many more, but we'll save those for another day or as discussion topics. Now for me to help you!
1. View changes as good! In this day and age, most people see changes as bad, that's wrong! Depending on which way you look at it, a change can be better or worse, and I know we should all prefer the better.
2. Make some changes yourself! If you're getting that "everyday's the same" feeling,its time for a change. You're not a robot, why act like one? Do something you don't usually do, or do something completely new. Talk to new people, visit new places, eat something new and delicious!
3. Don't expect the unexpected! That saying is outdated anyway. Why expect something that is statistically proven to have a slim chance of happening? Sure, it's nice to plan for the worst, but that proves you're a pessimist. Have fun, enjoy what you're doing, stay within the bounds of common sense,and you'll do fine.
4. Change yourself! We always say we're going to do it tomorrow, do it today! Better yet, do it now! "I'll be a better cook", get practicing. "I start reading the newspaper everyday," it's on your front lawn. After all, why feel good tomorrow, when you can feel good now?
5. Don't rush! Yes, I put this under #4 on purpose. Many changes are gradual, start now but plan accordingly. For those of you exercising, don't make the mistake I did. You're not going to get stronger by killing yourself for three weeks straight. Take it slow and steady, you'll be impressed at the result.
That's my tips for today, it's all common sense, but you'll be surprised at just how easy it is to forget in today's hectic society. And don't forget to take you time chillaxin'(Thanks to my Hawaiian friend for that one)!

Now I'm going back to playing Tom Clancy's HAWX, great game. Kai over and out!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, Kai! Those are some good points you made; we do forget how to look after ourselves properly in today's crazy world.
    I still wish for more than 24 hours though. >_>

    And YAY for the trip to the Bahamas! :D Summer'll be here before you know it - take lots of pictures!

    Oh, and good thing you posted this "rant" here. Share more rants!!!

    ReplyDelete