Tuesday, October 12, 2010

An Unexpected Win

Tampa Bay Bucs win in the last few seconds.
Tampa Bay Rays pull through as well.
It's not bad to be a Tampa Bay fan these days.

But that's not what I was going to talk about today. Instead, I want to turn the clock back a few months. It was time in the middle of all anime going through the long haul stage of big suck, the drought of good anime. We had a few good shows during this time which we thoroughly enjoyed. But most either fell under A)harem anime, B)moe anime, or C)something else that's not so good.
During such a time, we go through our manga and try to figure out which ones are good enough to become animated in the next few seasons. My friends chose The World God Only Knows, which is pretty hilarious. Bakuman was a given, the creator of Death Note making a manga about making manga? Instant win.
Now here's where the hilarious part comes in, I chose two almost at random. The first manga I chose was a joke, a jab at my friends and their Japanese pedo-ways. The second choice felt so cookie-cutter that I had to chose it, it had everything that the standard anime these days have. The male protagonist that returns to a certain place after several years? Check. The childhood friend? Check. The one and only male friend the main character will ever have? Check. And of course, vampires. Yup.
It may or may not come as a surprise, but here was the first one...



Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai! Or My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Cute. I mentioned it before, as the manga is quite funny. The anime is... good, in fact, very good. Which is bad. Besides the OP stuck in my head now, the show itself is actually surprisingly good. I called it, this manga, when animated, was going to rock. I was right! -sob-
There's already a ton of much better anime bloggers out there reviewing the show, so give them a click and see for yourself.
There's only a few things I figure warrants mention that those awesome two bloggers haven't done so already. First off, in the OP, there's an office building with the name "SOSO" on it. Is that a pun type deal on SOHOs? If so, I'd like to work there just so I can say "my office is so-so."
Next, the imouto(little sister) is constantly, and I meant constantly, irritated or ticked off. That's hilarious, as somebody out there(possibly even more than one somebody) thinks is cute. Anyway, this was the unexpected best of this season simply because all the other shows suck or didn't live up to their hype a la Star Driver. But I'll get to that later.

The other show I figured would be animated for its superb generic fit...


Fortune Arterial. I don't have much else to say besides the fact that is rather cookie-cutter. But it was one of my guesses and I can't be its not butter... I mean I can't believe I'd be right. I think I'm getting a lot better at predicting upcoming shows. Or the studios are becoming more predictable. Probably both.
And just for laughs, I later picked Yosuga no Sora just out of randomness and guess what? Here it is. Sigh.

Moving on, here's all the other shows that didn't quite live up to their hype or just haven't reached their peak yet. I'll go through each of them, or as many of them as I can without losing my mind.


The World God Only Knows, I was really looking forward to this one and still am. Basically, a guy who only plays dating sims is forced to capture the hearts of real girls or else lose is head. It was downright hilarious to see him use the skills he gained through dating sims on real girls. And having the skills work. It's like a harem anime with a twist.


Star Driver. I really don't know about this one. It's like Gurren Lagann mixed with code geass and something else. It was weird and I don't know what to think of it yet. I'll give it a few more episodes before laying down the judgment hammer.


Iron Man! I don't care what anyone says, Tony Stark is awesome. Just about as awesome as this guy. This anime might not be awesome as the movies, but I'll watch it anyway.


A Certain Magical Index 2! As a fan of the first one, I have to watch this one. It basically continues where the first left off, so if you haven't seen the first one yet, don't start here. Go back, back I tell you!


Ika Musume. Yeah... squiddy... ummm... okay. It had me laughing though, I'll give it that.


Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge. The first season was funny and random, Shaft-style. I'm a big fan of Shaft, so I had to watch this one. Once again, you should definitely watch the first season before you start this one.

There was a lot more anime coming out this season, but nothing else I feel warrants mention.
But next month we can look forward to Time Paladin Sakura! ...my head hurts...


Yay for magical little girls that became popular because of Nanoha and Fate.

And for those of you who have already seen OreImo's episode 2, I'm totally on imouto's side of anime, rather go with the moe than the angsty teen-complex goth style thing. I'm gonna go kill myself now.

Have something not anime before I go.


Medal of Honor!

Okay, I'm outta here.

2 comments:

  1. So each of these animes that you talked about...are they already out, full seasons and all? Or are they still being released one episode a week? (I'm sorry, but I'm still lost, lol).

    Also, did you hear - and my source might've been totally off here - that there might also be a Wolverine anime? o_o Iron Man AND Wolverine? !!!
    I don't know about you, but both are amazing super heroes, awesome stories and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, these are the news shows of the season I chose to follow, for a few episodes anyway. One episode a week, painfully. Except for Time Paladin Sakura which comes out next month...

    and a Wolverine anime? This is I must research and see if its true. I'll get back to you on that one. I'd totally watch that just like this Iron Man anime.

    ReplyDelete